Since its inception in 1980, the spring festival has entertained and inspired hundreds of thousands of people, introducing them to underrepresented artists and performances. Every aspect of the festival is curated with an eye toward presenting quality art – and a healthy dose of the unexpected. The festival balances critically acclaimed national artists with some of North Carolina’s best performing and visual artists. The result is an eccentric mix of artistic expression, undoubtedly with something that appeals to everyone.
The free festival features dozens of events, such as:
- The Art Market with more than 170 visual arts and crafts exhibitors from across North Carolina and the nation
- Kidsplosure, showcasing multiple interactive educational activities and entertainment for children and their parents
- Specially-commissioned, large-scale, interactive visual art installations
- Aerialists and/or other unique variety performers
- The Student Art Exhibition, showcasing two- and three-dimensional artwork of Wake County public and private middle and high school students
- Ongoing performances by legends and rising stars from the national and regional Jazz, Blues, and Alternative music scenes, the majority of whom have never appeared in Raleigh, and emerging local and regional performers deserving of wider acclaim
This family-friendly arts festival has been described by The News & Observer as “how the Triangle celebrates Spring.” Metro Magazine has recognized Artsplosure on numerous occasions as the “Triangle to the Coast’s Best Cultural Event,” and Artsplosure was singled out for its high quality and popularity in the New York Times’ “Escapes” section in April 2007.